Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

New Perspective on Christmas and Mary

When I realized I'd be giving birth close to Christmas time I realized this would be a special Christmas for me. I've tried to think about Mary throughout my pregnancy and how she must have felt as she approached the birth of Christ.  With Christmas only a week away, and my baby coming any day now I wanted to write a few of my thoughts from the past couple months.

First,  +/- 90 miles or 4-6 days journey on a donkey...bless that woman.  I cannot imagine her discomfort.  Every time I have gotten out of car during the past month I have thought of the discomfort Mary must have experienced, and I'm SO grateful for the luxuries in my life.

Second, as Mary realized she would be giving birth in a stable, I wonder what emotions and thoughts must have crossed her mind.  I like to think that she was a spiritual giant and she thought the bible times equivalent of "bring-it-on!"  But I have to admit I've been more emotional towards the end of my pregnancy and if it had been me I probably would have burst into tears.  I feel so grateful to know I'm literally minutes from a wonderful hospital full of people to help me bring my little one into the world.  I wonder, did Mary even have a midwife or did she do it all on her own?  Either way, I am filled with respect for Mary and the circumstances in which she gave birth.

Finally, as I think about my little baby I am overwhelmed with love for him.  I can't imagine the peace, love and joy Mary must have felt caring the son of God.  Truly this pregnancy has brought me a new understanding and respect for the Christmas story.

No comments:

Post a Comment